Most users ever online was 53 on Fri 21 Apr 2023 - 6:17
Site Admins Cashan

Orchid
Orchid

Momento canticum  Empty Momento canticum

Post by OrchidSun 19 Feb 2023 - 6:00

J U S T I N
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In one of the common rooms of the school, where anyone could stop by for a chat Justin was hard at work with a new project. Since taken on a major roll in the pack as Beta, Justin had worked to strengthen and develop his abelites in new ways. There was combat where he fought with a mix of instinct and adaptive strategy. There was delicate manipulation where he could empower his own words or song to adjust the emotions of any week willed around him. Then there was a new skill he was tinkering with, a long lasting imprint of his power on something. Justin was trying to think outside of the box to work in ways to improve the overall quality of life in the pack. With a life in the city there were far more comforts than in the wilderness even if there was less overall wolfishness. The comfort of modern life met with a requirement that wasn't as needed in the woods, money. The people of Saint's didn't want to buy goods like furs or bones. They wanted something charming and hand made with a hint of magic. The magic came more or less accidently at first. Justin picked up a few books here and there of all sorts of 'how to' things. He wanted to get a hand of the things he was out of touch with. Back when things were more settled Enya often teased him for a lack of phone and general lack of understanding of some modern things.

Enya, he thought of her often after she made it big and found a way to leave Saints. The two of them keep in touch by letter, and she didn't hesitate to mention the 'old fashioneds' of it all that didn't surprise her about Justin. He had a phone now but something about writing letters felt special and he could send occasion gifts. One such gift was one of his newest trinkets, music boxes. The gears and metal were pretty simple and the main inner workings were pretty fun to make. All Justin had to do was take a piece of mettle, hold the little tube and imagine the notes of the song. With some focus he sent his energy out making little dents in the metal to make the song. While he was working practically hard one day, he noticed something different when the box played. The box had lifted his spirits more than he expected. The sway he could put in the words transitioned to the box. He kept that first box and played it over and over though multiple days to check if the power was still there. Over a year the power lasted. By the end of the year it was a bit more diluted but in the end it didn't' matter, the positive association he had with it had built by then and he still found joy though it. The music boxes were simple wooden things that he sometimes engraved with the name of the song or images that matched it on the box. He put more than just joy in the boxes, some were sad, some were thoughtful, some exciting. Everyone needed some sort of pick me up! He could use his power, master the craft of imprinting, spread jow, and make money for the pack all at once.

At the moment Justin was humming as he put some small inner workings together for a new box. This box held some special feeling for him as the name of the song was 'Memento Mori'. A meaning of remembering you were mortal. Cherish life, for you never know how long you'll have it. Those words were more true than ever in Justin's life. He had more to enjoy than ever as well as a loss on the pack. Even with the passing of time Blaze's loss was still on his mind. To have someone who seems like they'd be around forever pass on... it could happen to any of them at any time. So, better cherish his life and the time spent with others while he could. As he moved to the cylinder of the music box Justn's humming turned to singing.

"Near or far, no matter how close you are
Hopelessly united in entropy
Could it be, the presence of memory
Is all we are, and all that we'll ever be?"

Something about this song was just perfect. It was one that left a certain feeling up to you. You could take the meaning and feeling of the song as positive and uplifting or sad and bittersweet. Whatever you were feeling at the time would be amplified rather than just being swed to whatever emotion the song wanted you to. This one, he'd have to make plenty more of.

Code by Syzygy.

Back to top Go down

Zigan
Zigan

Momento canticum  Empty Re: Momento canticum

Post by ZiganSun 19 Feb 2023 - 15:45

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The life of an Alpha was an exhaustive existence. This was Zigan's third time being the Alpha of the Kostas pack, and it came with more challenges than ever before. Five long years had passed since the Ox Corps attack and Zigan had struggled to keep his family safe.
He had decided to keep the pack in Saint City for safety. The Vampires had a stronghold over the city, meaning they had more protection than they would have if they went off alone. It also meant they could keep their alliance with the Death coven, or what was left of it.

The loss of Blaze was a heavy hit to the family, and they were still grieving their true Alpha. Zigan did his best to fill his friend's shoes, but he fell short. He was unable to locate either Mikalya or their former Alpha Kyros and had no idea what happened to either of them. They were presumed dead. Zigan had exhausted every avenue trying to find them, but he'd failed.

For the first few years, he focused on making sure the pack had a safe place to stay. He worked with Hope and Coran to find the perfect place. They moved into Saint Judes, and Zigan finally felt like they would be able to raise their young pack in relative safety. He placed stringent rules for every single pack member.
No one was allowed to leave the city without informing him, no one was allowed to shift outside of the school unless they had no other choice, and no one was allowed to invite anyone but the allied vampires back to Saint Jude's.
There were other rules for the pups, of course. Their every move was monitored by all of the older pack members. And as a result, there had been no Ox corp incidents relating to the pack for years.

All was going well, or so it seemed. But Zigan was tired. He'd been declining for years now. He wasn't healing as well as he should have. That was noticeable in the way his eye and leg never healed from years previous. He's passed that off as a one-off. But he knew he was lying to himself. Every injury since then had taken much longer to heal. Aleria had spoken to him about it after the Ox Attack. She was concerned. But there was little either of them could have done.
Zigan was not in a position to let his weakness affect the rest of the pack. So he hid it from them. They needed him, and he wasn't going to let them down, not with so much at stake.

Two years ago, he'd made the decision to promote Justin to Beta. The male had seasoned into a strong and thoughtful young man, who Zigan trusted. He would make a great Alpha one day, and Zigan secretly feared that day was approaching faster than he knew.

He walked through the school in search of the Beta. But he knew where to find him. He was often making trinkets, and Zigan did nothing to dissuade him from it. He was glad Justin had something to keep his mind off of their daily stresses.
"Hey," he stepped into the room, moving along the tables as he looked over all of his workings. "That's a nice song," he complimented as he unloaded his weight, sitting on one of the benches.
"I've been thinking," he sighed already unsure of himself. "The pups are getting bigger now. They have started their lessons with Kit, and I think it's time to show them what life is like outside of the city. I think we should take them out to the wilderness each week and let them be wolves, what do you think?"

Back to top Go down

Orchid
Orchid

Post by OrchidMon 20 Feb 2023 - 4:13

J U S T I N

Justin paused a moment in his work as Zigan walked in. Justin met him with an eager smile and a nod. In the past, Justin was likely to stand at attention with a ‘sir’ out of his mouth before anything but as he grew older that sort of dropped off. Part of it may have been more to his rank as Zigan’s second in command but it mostly came down to the feeling of family. Respect was well deserved with any member of the pack but to be as upfront and somewhat stuffy about it before was out of place. They were a pack built on family ties and love so to address any of them like some out of place official showed a lack of respect more than anything. That and he remembered how it had once made Blade feel old…. Whenever Blade did come back to him he’d have to use that ina joking manner on him some day.

“Thank you,” Justin said at the compelnt of the song. “It has sort of a music box sound already, and there is almost a ghost of an echo on the last bit. Any human would have to do that in a recording studio but I can just skip all that.” With a little chuckle he set the box down. “Let me know if you’d like any, of this or any song. I’d be happy to even make one for you and May and customize it in any way you’d like.”

He met his Alphas eyes a moment and tired not to really study them. If Justin looked too long he could see some tiredness there. It was faint and Justin wouldn’t have noticed in the past but since he spent more time with Zigan bouncing off ideas and supporting him as Alpha he understood him more and more and the slight changes became more apparent. Rather than point it out, Justin would do what he could to carry more weight here and there and ease the more simple burdens.

Thinking over the idea Justin nodded. “A field trip, that’s a great idea. They deserve to know their roots and run a little wild. With supervision and within reason at least. If they live a life too captive or out of touch humm.. Well It took me a long, long time to really be in touch with the wild part of myself but some of that I think was by choice and some with a more easy going life. Ox wasn’t as pressing so it wasn't as much of a need. But now, it’d be good for them to feel comfortable with their instincts sooner than later.”

Rubbing his chin he thought. “That and they’d be less likely to try and sneak out. And with it being a group trip Prim can’t go out of her way to try and prove herself and fight a bear on her own or something.” He smiled at the thought then added. “Kuzan may benefit from that too. He never really learned when to let loose and play humm..” He stopped just a moment unsure of his next words. “Long ago, when Eclipse was an Alpha who could be counted on… her and I got in a play fight and her words stuck with me. ‘Younger wolves need to remind the older wolves to play’. He could use that I think. And the more quiet pups could really grow from that.” Justin was already smiling at the idea. It’d be a wonderful opportunity for everyone!

Code by Syzygy.

Back to top Go down

Zigan
Zigan

Post by ZiganThu 23 Feb 2023 - 19:04

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Zigan smiled as he listened to Justin's response. The boy agreed with him, and Zigan nodded as he explained his take on Zigan's idea. Justin's words reflected much of Zigan's intentions, yet with much more passion. And Zigan found himself feeling comforted by Justin's eagerness to better the pack, not just for himself but for everyone's benefit. These interactions were easing Zigan's anxieties. The more time he spent with Justin, the more he understood the male's core drives. Any doubts Zigan had about Justin were long gone. Justin would make a good Alpha. He just needed to grow into his strengths and gain some confidence.

"Yes, of course. Kuzan should come along. That's a great idea," he nodded, not wanting the young male to be overlooked due to the younger members.
"Eclipse," he smiled weakly, his eyes unfocusing on memory. He'd not thought about the former alpha in years. They were once good friends, and Zigan pushed that sadness from his mind. Zigan had trouble letting go of the past, but he had been working hard on it, and soon his focus returned, and his eyes moved back to the young Beta. "That's very true. They do," he laughed, knowing the same could have been said about him. He couldn't remember the last time he'd played with anyone.

"I think we're on the same wavelength. Sort of," his smile didn't reach his eyes, as he sat down perched on the edge of the table to his rear, "I say we should take them. I actually mean you." The pups needed to learn to be without him. They needed to branch out on their own without their father's fading influence. Justin needed it too. He needed to know he could influence the pups, and that he could safeguard them. It would be his first real test as an alpha.
"I won't be coming." He shook any doubt from him, choosing to put his trust in Justin with confidence. "We can go there today. You and I. We can scout the area before you take them out. What do you say?"

Back to top Go down

Orchid
Orchid

Post by OrchidSun 26 Feb 2023 - 3:28

J U S T I N

Justin smiled as Zigan gave the ok to bring Kuzan along. His younger brother much preferred this way of life than their life in the woods or at the mountain. He felt more comfortable inside where he could watch tv and venture out into nature when he felt ready. Justin wasn't about to pull that way of life out from under him, but he neede to give him a little push in the right direction to make his outside ventures more comfortable. Going outside didn’t mean giving up their home here. Getting in touch with his inner wolf would do him so much good. He had already grown in confidence now he just need to feel at home wherever the pack was. Justin knew the promise of a good flights was likely all he had to offer. From there he could give his brother advice and let him find his own joys outside.

He watched closely as Zigan thought back on Eclipse. In the end she had let them all down, but for a time she was someone they could all look to. An Alpha, a teacher, a mother… all things they thought she would always be. Even though her actions were long in the past, some of the positives she left behind could be learned from. As Zigan laughed, Justin smiled. Part of him thought of shifting and engaging his Alpha in a rough and tumble play bought, but this wasn’t the time or place. Besides that, Zigan hadn’t shifted in a while. Maybe another time, Justin could land a soft ‘sneak attack’ on him and ease the mood. It would have to be when the pups were not around or they’d probably jump in too and things could get a little on the chaotic side. And if things came to the pups vs the older members of the pack they’d be way outnumbered.

Justin turned his attention back to Zigan as he spoke more. Justin taking the pups out alone? He looked down at his hands thinking about it. If he sat somewhere centered he could keep a close watch on them if he focused on the under the ground vibrations each made as they walked around Kuzan could be his scout in the air. If he asked Prim of something she’d likely to her bes to prove herself and keep to his request. Nodding he looked back over to his Alpha. “Thank you, for trusting me enough to even consider that an option.” He felt the warmth of pride in his chest already and he made sure to keep that pride from going to his head. “They would all for sure let loose much more that way. Oh I guess they may be more rowdy but they’ve done well to follow all the rules, they deserve to be a little rowdy. I think I can manage though!”

Justin was excited, not as excited as the pups would be but it was a wonderful prospect. The trust Zigan put on him was not lost on Justin. And sure there was a bit of nervousness, he could use that as more inspiration than anything and remember to be cautious and look out for the safety of the pups. Standing he nodded. “Sure, I’d like to see the woods beforehand anyway. It’s probably a different landscape without the thickness of the branches. I bet new life has found it’s way there and hopefully not too many tourists.” He was already picturing the pups trying to identify and track any scent the came across. “I’m ready to go whenever you are!” he said with a thumbs up.

Code by Syzygy.

Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum